Thursday, May 16, 2013

Reality Strikes

Last week my daughter decided she wanted to start her own blog--a "real" one--not her school Kidblog one.  Her friend had been getting some props for her own blog, and so...

We logged onto WordPress and set her up.  I reminded her to be safe online--to keep her personal information personal.  She nodded, full of the lessons she'd learned in school (thanks to Melissa!)  Then I left her to it.

Frankly, I forgot about the blog.  I didn't even know she'd finished a post.  I didn't follow her or pass along the link.  (Bad mother)

But last night I found her checking her email and saw that she had a follower on her blog.  She looked concerned as she moved away from the screen to reveal this follower's blog, filled with strange posts.

"Who is this?" she asked.  I sat down beside her and looked at the blog. 
"I have no idea," I told her.
"How did he find my blog?" she wanted to know.

I showed her how easy it is to follow someone's blog.  Then we talked about this very real stranger who may now choose to read her posts.  And here's what she said:

"I'm going to really think about what I put on this blog.  I'm going to be more careful."

Cha-ching!

Even though she'd been taught that, she didn't get it until it was REAL.  I asked her if she wanted me to make her blog less easy to find, but we decided that the whole value of blogging is to have a wide audience. 

So, if you feel like it, check out her blog



No comments:

Post a Comment