Sunday, November 27, 2011

Spoken Word Poetry

This is Sarah Kay's TED talk about her journey into spoken word poetry.  The talk begins with a beautiful poem, "If I Should Have A Daughter," which hits me in the gut as a mother.  But even if you are not a mother, you will be stunned by her word play, her imagery, and her passion.  She reminds me how amazing spoken word poetry can be, and I am again inspired to bring this beautiful art form to our students.  Just add this to the list...I can see it now, the auditorium filled with middle school students spouting their pain, their pride, their poetry.  I can hear the teenagers filling the room with hoots and cheers as they experience the power of their peers' spoken word poetry.  Now I just have to figure out which teachers are with me on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment